Making Faces: Metal Type in the 21st Century A film by Richard Kegler
This fascinating design documentary captures the personality and work process of the late Canadian graphic artist Jim Rimmer (1931-2010).
In 2008, P22 type foundry commissioned Rimmer to create a new type design (Stern) that became the first-ever simultaneous release of a digital font and hand-set metal font. Rimmer was one of only a few who possessed the skills needed to create a metal font.
This film is a unique opportunity to share Jim's knowledge, processes and passions with the world. For more information on screenings, visit the Making Faces blog.
Standard Edition DVD Package includes:
• Region Free 45 minute documentary
• In depth bonus features on the type making process
• Newly digitized rare silent film from the 1930s: “The Creation of a Printing Type from the Design to The Print by Frederic W. Goudy”
• One actual piece of cast metal type
Deluxe Edition contains the above +:
• 10 Languages of Subtitles: English, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Slovenian, & Spanish.
• Hand printed letterpress specimen of the full Stern typeface
• Hand printed letterpress DVD case with design by KeeganMeegan&Co.
• Hand printed letterpress envelope to hold the metal type.
• Hand printed letterpress inserts to hold the DVDs
• Second Disc with digital copy of 720p HD versions of the film for Mac and Windows
"No Frills" version contains none of the above
• Just the DVD in a simple paper sleeve (but even that is hand letterpress printed)
Reviews “The film is excellent ...truly wonderful! (Jim Rimmer is) wonderfully charming and such an amount of detail to observe.” - - The Brothers Quay, filmmakers
“I’m not sure what impresses me more, Rimmer’s love and devotion to his work, which is so beautifully portrayed in this movie, or the fact that a fellow designer took it upon himself to document it.” - - Rudy VanderLans, Emigre
“I think it’s a terrific piece of work. For those of us who knew Jim, it’s a powerful reminder of what we’ve lost. For all those who didn’t, I think it’s a fine, true glimpse of what they missed.” - - Robert Bringhurst, Author- Elements of Typographic Style
"A pure process film on the true hands-on method of creating typefaces, as demonstrated by one of its last practitioners. 'Making Faces' is an important resource for typography students and experts alike." - - Gary Hustwit, filmmaker(Helvetica)
"I feel that if you are in the graphic arts industry, it is important that one knows how this industry evolved and especially the part about where does type come from. In our digital age, we’ve lost touch with our roots and this film fills in a very important segment. I encourage every professional graphic designer ... to buy a copy of the DVD ... and be informed about the craft of type creating and feel confident that you have some real insights into the foundation of your business. This is the best, most intimate view of it I’ve ever seen on the subject. Don’t miss this opportunity." - -Ian Black, CGD Certified Graphic Designer
★★★★½ "Anyone interested in the mechanical arts, and especially typographers and designers, should add this film to their library." - - Brian Charles Clark, Curled Up With a Good DVD
Can’t decide on which fonts you like? Typecaster gives you the freedom to test out and compare fonts before you buy them. Simply browse fonts, add them to the typecaster and start setting your composition.